This recipe is from my friend Jazmin, a native of Guerrero. Jazmin is a surfer and all-around bad ass. Killing and cooking iguanas is one of her many talents. She learned this recipe from her mom, Esperanza.
1 medium iguana
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 pinch of cumin seeds
1 pinch of oregano
1. Clean and skin iguana. Add salt.
2. Put the iguana in a pot and cover with water.
3. Add a lot of garlic and some pieces of onion. Cook over low heat.
4. While the iguana is simmering, make sauce (see below).
4. After the meat is soft (about half done), remove iguana from broth.
5. Heat frying pan. Add cooking oil.
6. Brown iguana in pan.
7. Add tomato sauce to pan. Simmer iguana in sauce until it’s cooked through.
1. In a molcajete, grind cumin, oregano, jalapeños and tomatoes.